CAS (Conditional Access System)
In pursuance of the directions of the Hon’ble Delhi High Court dated July 20, 2006, Conditional Access System (CAS) will come into force with effect from December 31, 2006 in the notified areas of Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai. A list of the notified areas is available on Telecom Regulatory Authority (TRAI) website along with the tariff order issued on August 31, 2006.
The Union Government appointed (TRAI) as the official regulator for broadcasting and cable in January 2004.Since then, after the Delhi High Court order dated July 20, 2006; TRAI has issued a series of consumer friendly orders; regulations and guidelines to ensure best possible choice to consumers.
CAS is a system through which one can control the delivery of channels to only those subscribers who demand and pay for such channels. All new emerging delivery platforms like DTH/IPTV use CAS.
All free to air (FTA) channels continue to be received as earlier (they will not require a Set Top Box) by paying a monthly rental of Rs.82/- plus taxes. All pay channels to be viewed only through a Set Top Box installed to the TV set by paying at additional amount of Rs.5.35 per channel plus taxes.
Each subscriber will buy his own content. Broadcasters will get paid for the content based on subscription levels.
- The freedom to choose individual channels
- Customers may opt out of channels they do not wish to see.
- Tariffs fixed by TRAI
- Reduction in rates for middle & low income groups
- Common rates for customers in all areas
- Using authorized Set Top Boxes only can a subscriber receive these pay channels
- The ability to budget his cable bill
- International Viewing Experience
- DVD quality picture, Stereo sound
- Electronic Programming Guide at no extra cost
- Parental lock facility
- Interactive Gamming
- Expanded channel capacity
- Consistent picture quality across all channels
- And future products like pay -per-view.
SET TOP BOX (STB) SCHEMES
|STB Schemes||Hathway Tarrif plan||Rental Schemes|
|One time registration charges||905/-||Nil||Nil|
|Rent per month ( For 5 years)||Nil||22/-||34/-|
|Deduction per month from refundable deposit||Nil||13/-||3/-|
|Service Tax ( 10.30%)||94/-||77/-||21/-|
Quality of Services
- Itemized bill and receipt on monthly/quarterly basis
- Connection within 2 days of completing formalities or rebate of Rs.15 per day for first 5 days and thereafter Rs.10 per day
- Complaints to be responded within 8 hours
- Billing complaints – max. 7 days